June 15, 2011

Breaking all the rules of dating

Amy Loudon of The Independent thinks you should make your own dating rules. I did. Anyway, Amy's real point is that women shouldn't follow the common rules they make for themselves to sabotage their own dating lives. I agree. Most of these are unnecessary and/or counterproductive. Here's my take on each one.
  1. "Don’t kiss on a first date." Don’t follow this rule if you’re interested in a second date with me.
  2. "Don’t text [immediately] after a first day [to say what a great time you had]." Yes it does come off a bit too eager, but no I won’t hold it against you. Bottom line, it makes no difference. I’ve probably already made up my mind. And if I haven’t, whether or not you texted me afterwards isn’t going to sway me one way or the other. BUT, it will give me an opportunity to tell you how I feel, either by not responding, telling you directly I'm not interested, or telling you I'm interested. So if you're itching to know, this is probably a good way to get a quick answer.
  3. "Do not accept a Saturday night date after a Wednesday." Ladies, you are totally over-thinking this. Don’t outsmart yourselves.
  4. "Play hard to get." Agreed, this is counterproductive.
  5. "Picking up the bill." It’s refreshing when a woman wants to pay for anything. It means she can take care of herself, and she’s there because she actually likes you, not just because she had nothing better to do. All good things… Or it means she doesn’t want a second date and doesn’t want to send the wrong signals. Not such a good thing... So you can see why I’m not going to read too much into it, other than I just saved a few bucks, so I’m happy.

    But know this: We’re not going to ask. You have to take the initiative. The default is guy pays.

    I’ll tell you what’s NOT cool though. When a woman finagles her way into a more costly date than originally planned and then doesn't help pay for it. When I invite you out for drinks, I’m planning to buy you a few drinks, not dinner. So if you’re hungry and want to get dinner too, fine. But you shouldn't expect me to pay for it. I don’t like to be taken advantage of any more than you do.